EcoEnLight - 100% LED traffic lights and intelligent public lighting system in Almada
Covenant of Mayors Office
63-67 Rue d’Arlon
‘Covenant Coordinators’ are those public administrations which provide strategic guidance, financial and technical support to municipalities signing up to the Covenant of Mayors but lacking necessary skills and/or resources to fulfil their requirements.
Alongside financial assistance, Covenant Coordinators typically support signatories in conducting a CO2 emission inventory and/or a climate risk assessment, as well as in preparing and implementing their Sustainable Energy and Climate Action Plans.
Covenant Coordinators are:
- decentralised authorities, such as regions, provinces or grouping of local authorities,
- national public bodies such as national energy agencies.
Covenant Coordinators are considered by the European Commission as key allies of the Covenant of Mayors Office, as they play a decisive role in reaching out to local authorities in their territory and providing signatories with the technical, financial, administrative and political support necessary to fulfil their commitments.
Province of Barcelona
|Main contact:||Antonieta Masip Prat|
Support provided to signatories
- Dissemination of Covenant promotion materials (brochure, thematic leaflets, etc.)
- Leverage of own communication tools (e.g. newsletter, website, mailing lists, etc.)
- Organisation of events
- Direct financial support: Budget allocated to the Covenant of Mayors in €?
> from 2008 5-6M€
- Direct financial support: Source (choose between: EU funding, national funding, own budget, private funding, other: please specify)
> EU and own funding
- Indirect support through staff assigned
- Political and/or technical working group(s) set up
- Development or adaptation of technical guidelines
- Creation of experience-sharing opportunities between signatories (e.g. Extranet, discussion forum, blogs, etc.)
- Inclusion of the Covenant in the agenda of its working groups, committees or other relevant fora
- Cooperation with the media
- Organisation of meetings with key stakeholders (e.g. national government representatives, private or banking sector)
- Support to signatories for the organisation of their Local Energy Days
- Organisation of Territorial Energy Days
|Evolution of GHG emissions in the Province of Barcelona||151 Ko||en|
|Guidance to draft energy assessment visits||58 Ko||en|
|Monitoring SEAP summary report||653 Ko||en|
Description: Municipalities have a limited investment capacity and a limited possibility to increase their debt levels. Therefore, the general approach to develop SEAP actions is through the involvement of the private sector that will implement the investments. These investments have thus to generate enough revenues (renewable energy) or produce enough energy savings to, in principle, recover the investments in few years. Diputació de Barcelona intends to set up the required financial, technical and contractual approach, in order to support the municipalities to establish the framework and conditions for the implementation of the investments. Diputació de Barcelona is committed to develop investments in photovoltaic and energy efficiency actions in the municipalities in the next three years for an amount of 500 M€. In order to identify projects suitable for the investments Diputació will look at the SEAPs developed, at the ongoing ones or at other municipal initiatives or needs. To generate the desirable financial framework Diputació de Barcelona has reached an agreement with the European Investment Bank. To provide the necessary legal and technical framework Diputació de Barcelona had asked the EC for 2 M € under the ELENA technical assistance. Diputació de Barcelona will: - Structure the whole operation - Prepare a standard approach for the ESCOs participation in the projects, including a standard contract - Organise call for tenders, when required by the municipalities - Manage technical assistance (ELENA) and assist municipalities, when required - Award contracts, when this activity is delegated by the municipalities to the Diputació.
Rate this benchmark: (0 vote)
The sole responsibility for the content of this website lies with the authors. It does not reflect the opinion of the European Union. The European Commission is not responsible for any use that may be made of the information contained therein.
Covenant of Mayors for Climate & Energy
The Covenant Step by Step
Local and Regional Energy Agencies
Monitoring Action Plans
Signatories’ Benchmark of Excellence
Coordinators and Supporters’ Benchmark of Excellence
As a Local Authority
As a Province or Region
As a Network of Local Authorities
As an Associated Partner
As a Local and Regional Energy Agency