Covenant of Mayors Office
63-67 Rue d’Arlon
As a Local Authority
Local authorities play a leading role in climate change mitigation and adaptation. Participation in the Covenant of Mayors for Climate & Energy supports them in this endeavour, by providing them the recognition, resources and networking opportunities necessary to take their energy and climate commitments to the next level.
Who is eligible?
The Covenant of Mayors for Climate and Energy is open to all local authorities democratically constituted with/by elected representatives, whatever their size and whatever the stage of implementation of their energy and climate policies.
Neighbouring small and medium-sized local authorities can also, under certain conditions, decide to join as a group of signatories and submit a joint Sustainable Energy and Climate Action Plan, either committing individually (option 1) or collectively (option 2) to the 40% CO2 reduction target and to an increased resilience to climate change – more information in the Covenant website FAQ section.
How to join?
To join the ever-growing movement, local authorities should undertake the following process:
- Present the Covenant of Mayors for Climate and Energy initiative to the municipal council;
- Once an official resolution has been adopted by the council, mandate the mayor - or equivalent representative of the council - to sign the Covenant adhesion form;
- After signature, complete your information online and upload your duly signed adhesion form;
- Take note of the next steps, outlined in a confirmation e-mail sent to the local authority council.
When to join?
Local authorities can sign the Covenant of Mayors for Climate and Energy at any time.
Covenant of Mayors signatories find multiple reasons to join the movement, among which:
- High international recognition and visibility for the local authority’s climate and energy action
- Opportunity to contribute to shaping the EU’s climate and energy policy
- Credible commitments through progress review and monitoring
- Better financial opportunities for their local climate and energy projects
- Innovative ways to network, exchange experiences and build capacity through regular events, twinnings, webinars or online discussions
- Practical support (helpdesk), guidance material and tools
- Quick access to “excellence know-how” and inspiring case studies
- Facilitated self-assessment and peer-to-peer exchange through common monitoring and reporting template
- Flexible reference framework for action, adaptable to local needs
- Enhanced cooperation and support from national and subnational authorities
Covenant of Mayors for Climate & Energy
The Covenant of Mayors going global
Covenant of Mayors Board
The Covenant Step by Step
Adaptation to climate change
Local and Regional Energy Agencies
Monitoring Action Plans
Signatories’ Benchmark of Excellence
Coordinators and Supporters’ Benchmarks of Excellence
As a Local Authority
As a Province or Region
As a Network of Local Authorities
As an Associated Partner
As a Local and Regional Energy Agency